Pages

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Author Tonya Kappes shares the secrets of her success (and all that energy, too)

I'm a big fan of Tonya Kappes. This prolific self-published author is a high-energy dynamo; her novels regularly hit the Amazon bestsellers' list within the first eight hours of being published. And she's got a lot of them:  Carpe Bead 'Em, Bead of Doubt, Splitsville.com, Happy New Life and Never Tell Your Dreams are just a few.

She's funny and whip-smart, so I thought it would be fun to do a little 5-question interview with her: Did I mention she's a good sport?


1. Have you been a writer all your life?

I was a writing late bloomer and didn't start writing until my late 30s. I've always been a reader but it wasn't until my husband picked up a book I was reading, read the first couple of pages and told me that I could write that I became a writer. That was all it took. Someone else believing in me.  I still have a day job. I graduated from the University of Kentucky with an elementary education degree with a minor in family therapy. I went back to get my master's from Northern Kentucky University. Every day I work with children birth to three as an early intervention therapist.

2. You're known for your energy and enthusiasm. What motivates you?

Living and helping people. In my day job, I help children and their families. I believe in everyone. Sometimes, one person needs a cheerleader to get them motivated to write that next word or finish off the book. It only takes a positive word.

3. Where do you get your ideas?

Everywhere and anywhere! I love to read crazy headlines and put a mystery spin on them. Once I get an idea, I walk around and talk out loud to see what story will pop out of my mouth.

4. There's a lot of discussion today on traditonal vs. indie publishing. Your thoughts?

I'm a hybrid writer. I'm self-published, small press published, and I have an agent who is about to start shopping a mystery series. I believe writers can travel every road to publication. Try everything - and I mean everything - and then decide what's right for you. (p.s. Tonya has more thoughts on this topic - and they're worthy of a blog post all their own. So they'll get one).



5. Where do you see yourself in five years?

Writing and enjoying my family with a smile on my face.




For more information on Tonya, check out tonyakappes.blogspot.com

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Diane!! Thanks so much for having me today!! You are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview. Tonya inspires us every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! And it's my pleasure, Tonya. : )

    ReplyDelete